Our Carbon Removal Programmes
Kariba REDD+ Forest Protection Zimbabwe
Since its launch in 2011, the Kariba Project has protected nearly 785,000 hectares of forests and wildlife on the southern shores of Lake Kariba, near the Zimbabwe-Zambia border from deforestation and land degradation. It prevents more than 3.5 million tonnes of carbon dioxide from being released into the atmosphere every year. The project continues to support regional sustainable development and the independence and wellbeing of local communities.
Brascarbon Methane Recovery Project Brazil
Methane emissions from meat production for human consumption are a leading cause of greenhouse gas emissions and hence climate change. A number of innovative methane recovery projects have been formally approved in Brazil. The project we have supported involved the construction of a new covered in-ground anaerobic reactor (digester) that will utilize the organic material currently treated in the wastewater-opened lagoon, of the confined animal operations, to produce biogas, significantly reducing the amount of methane that would otherwise have been produced.
The United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
In 2015, the United Nations (UN) adopted a plan to achieve a better future for all, identifying 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to achieve this objective. For businesses, these goals provide an important roadmap for how to positively impact society, and they have achieved a high level of acceptance around the world. We recognise the importance of contributing to a sustainable future and will be ensuring that our actions are aligned with global efforts to achieve the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
We are deeply committed to protecting the planet, and we have taken a number of steps to reduce our environmental footprint, including:
- Opting for renewable electricity and adopting efficiency-saving technology to drive down our energy impacts.
- Following the waste hierarchy to reduce our waste to landfill and reuse and recycle where possible.
- Focusing on reducing our carbon footprint by following a Net Zero glidepath and reducing upstream and downstream supply chain emissions where possible.
- Reviewing packaging practices with our suppliers to identify potential collaboration opportunities that would improve our packaging credentials and align with our Net Zero goals.
- We believe that small changes in our practices can make a big difference, and we are committed to doing everything we can to reduce our environmental impact. We also integrate sustainability into our curricula and educational software to influence our customers’ sustainable performance.
We recognise that we have a responsibility not only to take care of our own employees and the communities in which we operate but also to ensure that our suppliers and business partners are compliant with all laws and regulations. We are committed to:
- Providing a challenging, dynamic, inclusive, and diverse work environment that supports ongoing professional development for our employees.
- Promoting a good work-life balance by prioritising the health and wellness of our employees through the introduction of flexible, and hybrid working across the business.
- Engaging our suppliers on ESG, including the use of a supplier ESG code of conduct, ESG Pre-Qualification Questionnaire, ESG audit, and development of Tier 1 supplier transparency while preserving and promoting the protection of human rights and welfare within our supply chain.
We understand the importance of good governance to ensure a strong and sturdy foundation for our kingdom. We believe in effective policies and corporate reporting, which form the cornerstone of our sound governance and part of our commitment to ESG. We prioritise:
- Strong oversight, transparency, and risk management at all levels of our organisation, managed by a diverse committee who have different roles associated with our ESG targets.
- Establishing clear and effective ESG governance with well-defined goals, accountability, and metrics to measure performance and set expectations and targets.
- Our Board and senior leadership team driving our ESG initiative, monitoring progress against ESG commitments and reporting on the company’s performance.
- Providing a suitable mechanism for whistleblowing where employees and external parties can report anonymously to promote transparency and accountability throughout our organisation.
We believe that success is not just about the bottom line, but also about doing what is right for the environment and society. We have established clear metrics and accountability measures to ensure that we continue to make progress towards our ESG goals. Our Board and senior leadership team drive this initiative, regularly monitoring progress against ESG commitments and reporting on the company’s performance.
Avantis Education is poised for continued success while staying true to our commitment to ESG and sustainability.